Wash your hands – Printer
Printer. Good hygiene is critical for slowing the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). Everyone should be taking the following hygiene actions :
Wash your hands
- Wash your hands regularly with for at least 20 seconds, using soap and water or use a hand sanitiser that contains at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Wash your hands when you get home, arrive at other people’s homes, at venues or at work.
- Wash your hands after blowing your nose, coughing, sneezing, or using the toilet.
Don’t cough or sneeze into your hands
- Cover your nose or mouth with a tissue, then throw it away and wash your hands.
- If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow or upper sleeve.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Do not share drink bottles, glasses, crockery or cutlery other than with people you live with.
- For information on staying safe while caring for an unwell family member or loved one.
- For information for people who are elderly, have a chronic illness, who are immunocompromised.
Keep your distance – stay 1.5 metres away from people you don’t live with –
- Greet people with a smile or wave – don’t shake hands, hug or kiss as a greeting.
- Stay 1.5 metres away from people you don’t live with.
- Avoid crowds, especially indoors.
- When waiting in line or walking through busy areas, be patient, give others space so they can give you yours.
- Keep eating a balanced diet.
- Get regular exercise and sleep.
- Reduce your alcohol intake.
- If you’re a smoker, think about and try quitting.
- Get vaccinated for flu (influenza). This will help reduce the demand on the healthcare system as it deals with coronavirus (COVID-19). Vaccines are now available from your GP and pharmacy.
Stay connected and support each other
It is important to keep connected as a community, even while physically distancing. You can support your friends and family by continuing these key actions:
- If you or a loved one is feeling anxious or concerned at this time, help and support is available.
- Where possible, keep connected to your family, friends and work colleagues through video conferencing, phone, email and social media.
- Look out for your neighbours and family members.
- Stay informed. Seek information from reputable sources.
Cleaning and disinfecting high touch surfaces regularly (for example phones, keyboards, door handles, light switches, bench tops) can help stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
- First step is cleaning, which means wiping dirt and germs off a surface. You can use common household detergent products stocked at supermarkets for cleaning.
- Second step is to disinfect the surface. Supermarkets stock common household disinfection products – it is important to use products that are labelled “disinfectant” and to follow the instructions on the label.